So I usually come home from work famished. Which generally then leads to cooking something that I should not be eating and hour before I go to bed. Spaghetti, mac and cheese, tacos, you get the point. But tonight I decided to make the box of rice and red curry I bought from the big new target on Transit road in that West Seneca/Depew/Lancaster/Cheektowaga area. That place rocks. Lots more food than you'd find at your older Target. And when I saw this boxed meal I thought it sounded good. I LOVE curries. And if there was a way to make it quicker and easier at 1:00am, that's even better.
So I bought the Archer Farms Jasmine Rice with Red Curry sauce.
Not good.
I cooked it according to the directions, and added shredded chicken from the fridge.
Ew.
The rice was gummy and the sauce tasted like it was made by someone from Milwaukee who has never seen or tasted curry, but made curry from what he thought sounded like what should be in it.
So back to spaghetti, mac and cheese and tacos.
Here's my recipe for really really good and easy mac and cheese. It's enough for like 3 big servings.
3/4 box of any kind of short pasta you like
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 1/4 grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 can condensed Cheddar cheese soup (campbells)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 egg, beaten
Cook the pasta until almost done, but not quite.
In a saucepan, mix butter, milk, and grated cheese. Mix over medium heat till it melts. Add sour cream, cheese soup, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Turn off heat and add egg while mixing continuously. Add pasta and mix. Pour into casserole dish. Sprinkle seasoned bread crumbs on the top if you like that sort of thing. (I generally don't.) Bake in a 350 degree oven about 10-15 min until bubbly.
Super easy, especially if you buy already grated cheese. But be sure to buy sharp or extra sharp shredded cheddar.
Oh, and the best mac and cheese I've had at a restaurant: Fat Bobs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment